Re: A Crack at an EARL Vocabulary (Annotea)

At 2001-02-12 08:32, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
>It looks to me that you want to be able to add external metadata to Web
>pages, and that is what we have done with Annotea annotations. We create
>the annotations with Amaya, and store them to a metadata server. Now the
>content of the annotations is usually HTML but I don't know why it
>couldn't also be some more metadata (only problem is to have an easy user
>interface for producing it).

I paraphrase some objectives of EARL: to identify accessibility limitations on
a document, per WCAG checkpoints. Also possibly consider ATAG and UAAG
checkpoints. This metadata is expected to be useful to help a user have a
measure of understandability limitations, based on accessibility assertions.

>With Annotea it is possible to have different types of annotations,
>comments are already there. Maybe assertion is a new type or a subtype of
>comment where the user can add to the content some EARL metadata too and
>the server can then fetch this logic and do queries also about that.

I find an interesting reference on Annotea:

     http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/Amaya/doc/amaya/Annotations.html

The EARL needs should be harmonized with the Annotea work. The Amaya testbed
might be used to experiment with EARL.

Is there a meta means in a document to point via the annotation server
to any (one or more) annotations about it? Or, is there a single implicit
means to make that linkage? Can conflicting annotations about a single
document be assessed?

Regards/Harvey Bingham