Re: A Crack at an EARL Vocabulary

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 04:02:33 -0000
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>
[This message contains an up-to-date vocab.]

> The scheme I had allowed assertions to be made at
> arbitrary levels of detail

I'm using the words in the following context, "each triple of an assertion
is a detail". hmmmm..... usually, the word assertion means a triple, and
I'm not sure what people use the word detail for in the RDF sense, but
that's how I see it. When you talk about something, you make a set of
assertions of it, each with different details. Some may be specific (date
= ) or some may be more general, such as prose comments.

> you could make an assertion about anything addressabele [...] If
> that's what you mean then I think we are better off doing it like that.

Yes: I think that earl:detail isn't required anymore... it's all part of an
assertion.

> aboutEachPrefix="http://foo.org/doc"

Aha. I wonder why some of these things aren't defined in the RDF Schema for
RDF (in the namespace)?

> It would be handy to have a list again of the ones we think are useful.

earl:asserts (x asserts y)
earl:comment (x comments that y)
earl:confidence (x is asserted to a confidence level of y)
earl:conforms (x conforms to y)
earl:testobject (x has test object y, or x is an earl:testobject)
earl:langtype (x is of langtype y [e.g. x earl:langtype "XHTML"])
earl:mode (x has a test mode of y)
earl:result (x has the result y)

earl:person (x is an earl:person)
earl:tool (x is an earl:tool)

> X :meets [atag:levelA atag:checkpointN] .

Fair enough, although you're still using a level as a property... I'm not
sure what way around it there is, unless you say:-

     :x a earl:tool .
     :x earl:asserts
          { <URI> earl:conforms atag:cpN; atag:level "A" . }

then you could have multiple assertions.

[ :name "Sean B. Palmer" ] :hasHomepage <http://infomesh.net/sbp/> .