Re: Larger EARL report: issues arise

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:08:11 -0500
To: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org

Thanks for the tips on shortening the notation.

As for use of the curley brackets signifying context, where I had the
humans :hu1 and :hu2 asserting different things about e:altStatus   (BTW, I
correct a typo here... I had aerte:altStatus)
:hu1 e:says {:img1 e:altStatus e:fail } .
:hu2 e:says {:img1 e:altStatus e:pass } .

I rechecked and i think that indeed a proper use of context.  [1] says:

Sometimes, we need to talk about more than one context. For example, if
either one statement or another is true, then we can't put them in the same
In N3 a context can be represented by enclosing all the statements it
encloses in curly braces { }....

<x.rdf> :says {  :pat a :Person . } .

... This example just declares that the document x.rdf expresses the
hypothetical context in which it is stated that pat is a person: the
statement above doesn't state that pat is a person.

That's what I'm trying to express... two contexts: in one context, the one
:hu1 expresses, in which e:altStatus is fail, in the other, which :hu2
expresses, in which it's pass.  And I'd want this even if we had just one
human saying one thing.  It's a statement about another statement.

Ref [1] also has the following example for square brackets:

<#pat> <#child> [ <#age> "4" ] , [ <age> "3" ].
You could read this as #pat has a #child which has #age of "4" and a #child
which has an #age of "3".

note that the square brackets only have predicates and objects, no
subjects.  So again, I think this shows that the curley bracket contexts
are what's needed here.

So in addition to getting a good vocabulary, we've got to thing about what
the terms have as objects.  Objects can be elements in a site, the site as
a whole, or contexts containing statements about a site.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/Primer.html
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant: