Re: Cursors face defining moments on the Web

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:44:49 -0000
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, "William Loughborough" <love26@gorge.net>
Cc: "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>, "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>, "Rob Cameron" <cameron@cs.sfu.ca>, "WAI ER group" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, "Marja-Riitta Koivunen" <marja@w3.org>
> annotations work being done in Amaya.

Until there is a permanent annotations server (is the W3C one permenent
yet?), or, even better, fully ported annotations server software (I run
IIS... why are there no tools for IIS???; I end up having to write my own),
I doubt it will take off. Amaya is good because it attempts to bridge the
UI gaps that TimBL mentioned [1], but I don't find it intuitive enough to
use at the moment for XHTML. Only plain text tools are direct enough for
XHTML, IMHO. [The DIAP problem has been getting progressively worse now for
ten years, and it'll probably never be fixed.]

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Editor and
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/UI

[ :name "Sean B. Palmer" ] :hasHomepage <http://infomesh.net/sbp/> .