Re: EARL Announcement

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:14:21 +0100
To: "William Loughborough" <love26@gorge.net>
Cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
> I bet more people say the incorrect "universal" than
> the correct "uniform".

I still say it sometimes. According to "Weaving the Web", TimBL wanted
to use "Universal", but the IETF folk argued that this was ridiculous,
arguing "how can any resource identifier/indicator be universal? Call
it uniform". Of course, that's only one side of the story - I'll be
the IETF people have their reasons, and one day maybe I'll track them
down.

Whatever the case, "Universal" is better than "Uniform", and "Repair"
is probably better than "Report"... but I don't really care; URIs are
still URIs, and EARL is still EARL. The Web would still be working
tomorrow if all the kings/queens on earth decreed that it is to be
called "The Information Mine" or whatever. This is all just one big
step towards the Pedantic Web, IMO.

> Let's call the whole thing off?

Never!