W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org > April 2001

Re: EARL Announcement

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:01:52 -0400
Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.20010424165522.04208670@localhost>
To: <dd@w3.org>, "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
The need for the language was not only to report the results of evaluations 
but the results of repairs.  Therefore to report:
- repairs that have been performed as well as those that have not yet been 
performed
- results of evaluations they have manually performed on the content as 
well as results of automatic tests.

Therefore, "reporting of repairs" whether they exist in the past or 
future.  We "report" info on both evaluations and repairs.  Or perhaps just 
"reporting language." :) Regardless, I think changing the name to 
"Evaluation and Reporting Language" would be fine.  Reporting is a good 
general concept.

--wendy

At 04:42 PM 4/24/01 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I agree with Daniel. Repair is n the sscenarios, but we don't have a
>framework yet for how to express it in the language - the best we have got is
>a single pointer to "repair information" whatever that is, and I argue that
>is not enough to be very useful. We are better assuming that repair
>information is something we will owrk on next (if we don't work on a language
>fro describibng tests)
>
>Charles McCN
>
>On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>
>
>   > Why are you saying repair is not core?
>
>   because
>
>   > Personally speaking at least, I think it's an important part of 
> EARL.  For
>   > example, if I'm evaluating a web page, and I see some poorly worded ALT
>   > text, I'd certainly want to have a way to suggest better ALT text.  And
>   > once I do that, the output can be used for repair.
>
>   as you say: the earl output can be used for repair, and for many other
>   things: it's a evaluation report.
>
>   there's no repair information ("how to repair it") in the core
>   vocabulary we put together so far
>
>   repair is just one scenario of use
>   certification is another
>   metrics chart
>   etc
>
>
>   > Repair has been in the user scenarios for months... e.g. see the part
>   > starting at http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/earl.html#evaluation .
>   >
>   > Len
>   >
>   >
>   > At 08:42 AM 4/24/01 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:
>   >
>   > >Thanks Sean.
>   > >
>   > >Before we start publicizing this stuff.
>   > >
>   > > > Done, and done. EARL is now open for business!
>   > > >
>   > > >    http://www.w3.org/2001/03/earl/
>   > > >    - EARL - the Evaluation And Repair Language
>   > >
>   > >At the PF f2f, we also discussed the fact that Repair in EARL were
>   > >sort of "not core", and so maybe the correct expansion of the acronym
>   > >should be
>   > >   EARL: Evaluation and Reporting Language.
>   > >
>   > >What do people think ?
>   > >I think it's still time to change it but later on it will be more
>   > >problematic.
>   > >
>   > >
>   >
>   > --
>   > Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
>   > Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at 
> Temple
>   > University
>   > (215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
>   > http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org
>   >
>   > Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
>   > http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/
>   >
>   > The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
>   > http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/
>
>
>--
>Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61 409 
>134 136
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1 617 
>258 5999
>Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
>(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, 
>France)

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium
web accessibility initiative
madison, wi usa
tel: +1 608 663 6346
/--
Received on Tuesday, 24 April 2001 17:00:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:01:32 UTC