Re: EARL Announcement

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:48:01 -0400
To: dd@w3.org, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
Why are you saying repair is not core?

Personally speaking at least, I think it's an important part of EARL.  For
example, if I'm evaluating a web page, and I see some poorly worded ALT
text, I'd certainly want to have a way to suggest better ALT text.  And
once I do that, the output can be used for repair.

Repair has been in the user scenarios for months... e.g. see the part
starting at http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/earl.html#evaluation .

Len

At 08:42 AM 4/24/01 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>Thanks Sean.
>
>Before we start publicizing this stuff.
>
> > Done, and done. EARL is now open for business!
> >
> >    http://www.w3.org/2001/03/earl/
> >    - EARL - the Evaluation And Repair Language
>
>At the PF f2f, we also discussed the fact that Repair in EARL were
>sort of "not core", and so maybe the correct expansion of the acronym
>should be
>   EARL: Evaluation and Reporting Language.
>
>What do people think ?
>I think it's still time to change it but later on it will be more
>problematic.

Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
University
(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/