From: w3c-wai-er-ig-request@w3.org
[mailto:w3c-wai-er-ig-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Charles McCathieNevile
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 8:01 AM
To: Leonard R. Kasday
Cc: Chris Ridpath; WAI ER IG List
Subject: Re: Technique 9.3.1 Check scripts for logical event handlers

If we don't require it then we are deviating from WCAG, which is a bad step
on the loss of interoperability of W3C specs path. (In particular, it would
mean that the AU group, which relies on WCAG by reference, would have to
work
outside the AERT). If indeed this is unnecessary then the first requirement
should be to suggest so to WCAG.

So much for process.

Where there is a stylistic change caused by a mouseover, it is done as a way
of providing an effect when the user is focussed on the event. There is no
good reason why this should be restricted to mouse users. In particular,
this
is often used to draw attention to something - that has value for a number
of
different types of users. As content becomes better written, we can expect
more such effects, and more of them to use generally accessible features
like
CSS changes (this is how it  is done using SMIL/SVG animation).

If there are examples where a mouseover and a focus event do different
things, then I have yet to discover it. They may have different meanings in
specification, but the first is a subset of the latter in most user
interface
design for the web. (For Operating systems, by contrast, single-click takes
the place of mouseover for certain types of objects, but not others).

Charles McCN