Re: [w3c-wai-er-ig] <none>

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:42:27 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "William Loughborough" <love26@gorge.net>
> This would be a good place to include the who/when/
> what/why/how information in the form of RDF assertions,
> including a claim of conformance in whatever detail we could
> envision - sort of like the Accessibility Description Language
> thing Len proposed. Since one can have more than one profile
> URI, there are other possibilities, but the opportunity to achieve
> signivicant indexing at essentially no cost is compelling.
> [...] Am I missing something?

Yes, there is still the caveat: <head xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
profile="[...]"> doesn't mean anything at the moment becase there is no
schema for it, although that doesn't stop us writing one (see quick example
[1]) and importing
it into the namespace (especially as it is a unique attribute).
Really, we need to be able to either:-
1. Embed RDF into the file in the first place
2. Link to it using XLink or some other XML reference technology. Using
processors which haven't got a clue what they should do when they run across

[1] Took about 5 seconds cutting and pasting stuff into this, so don't
assume correctness(!) In fact, this still doesn't tell processors to grok
the profile target [@@need to tie this into the XLink namespace somehow]:-

  <?xml version='1.0'?>
  <rdf:Description rdf:about="[TBD]">
    <dc:title>RDF Schema For The XHTML Profile Attribute</dc:title>
    <dc:author>Sean B. Palmer</dc:author>
  <rdf:Description ID="profile">
    <!-- This is a hack for now: --><targetNamespace

    <rdfs:comment>Specifies the location of one or more meta data
     profiles, separated by white space. For future extensions, user
     agents should consider the value to be a list even though this
     specification only considers the first URI to be significant.

"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.