RE: the WAVE accessibility evaluator

Al, we may need to define our terms here.  Your administrator is a far cry
from what I am use to!

By "administrator" I am thinking of the webmaster's boss (or boss's boss)
who, quite reasonably, might not be very technical and know very little
specific HTML code.  This person needs tools so that she can say "make the
site accessible to the blind" or "follow the WCAG" and have something
besides the say-so of the worker charged with the task to ensure that the
work was done.

The W3C Validator can work that way.  Sure, it is a useful tool for an the
author, but having a live link means that ANYONE (including administrators)
can confirm for themselves that the page is, in fact, valid HTML.  (Sure,
the author could probably spoof this, but it's much less work just to make
the page valid!)

Bobby use to work that way.  (Remember the early "Five Stars Bobby
Approved" -- end of report days?)

Len, I think it would be great if the WAVE had a (checkbox) option to just
generate a statistical report!  Missing ALT and NOSCRIPT and other
unambiguous machine-verifiable P1 errors could go to the top.

Al, you may think it ridiculous that the administrator's employees can't be
trusted to do this work.  My experience with mostly state-sponsored sites --
using decently paid contractors -- is that even when explicitly asked, the
new-to-the-issue content providers create sites that are not P1 compliant.
They simply just don't know what they are doing -- and neither does the
person that hired them.

I can't chase down every would-be contractor to educate them about the WCAG.
Even if I did, I can't make them care.  Even if they are working on a
project where accessibility is specified, they still don't think they have
to listen to me -- I don't work for the agency that is paying them!  My best
bet is get the people paying the bills to care.  I have lots of folks
helping me with that!  The difficulty is that administrators are not going
to take the time to learn the subject material.  They think that if its in
the contract, the matter is closed.  I want simple to use tools that
transparently expose at least the most glaring and obvious problems.  Even
if administrators never use the tools, the fact that they exist will keep
those less-than-competent contractors in line!

Len, if you could provide the option to address this need with the WAVE that
would just be great.

Cheers,
Bruce