Re: AERT and ATAG10-TECHS (using AERT Technique 13.6.1 as an example)

Resonses in JRG:
At 12:02 AM 7/19/2000 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>[First -- sorry Wendy, my bad -- I misread ATAG10-TECHS as a reference to
>the WCAG [HTML] Techniques and so my references to ATAG10-TECHS were
>nonsense.  But I still have a slightly different idea of what WCA agreed
>with UA back then.. Read on]
>
>However, [Expletive!].  That "identify the group (for user agents)" bug is
>in the WCAG itself.  The "for user agents" is a mistake.  The "identify the
>group" was supposed to be for users: the TITLE on the grouping element.  I
>fell down in not reading the drafts closely and often enough as it went on
>to final.
>
>How to put it...
>
>Did we ask UA for special handling for MAP or did we not?

JRG: There is currently no special handling of MAP in the user agent
guidelines.  Access to things markup as MAP would be covered under the
techniques for a number of checkpoints.  But most notably:

7.6 Allow the user to navigate efficiently to and among important
structural elements identified by the author. For markup languages with
known semantics, allow forward sequential navigation to important
structural elements. For other markup languages, allow at least forward
sequential navigation of the document object, in document order. [Priority 2]

8.4 Make available to the user an "outline" view of content, composed of
text labels for important structural elements              (e.g., heading
text, table titles, form titles, etc.). The set of important structural
elements is the same required by checkpoint 7.6. [Priority 2]

What would people think about adding the following priority 3 checkpoint in
the User Agent guidelines, that would be an important special case of 7.6.

"Provide one step access to the list of links that have been identified by
the author as navigational links [Priority 3]"

in HTML this would be links contained in the MAP element.

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund