Technique 3.6.A [priority 2] Check that list elements are within a list container and well nested.

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:08:28 -0500
To: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
Based on Michael's comments, I have created the following technique.  I
replaced the text that was there with this text.

Technique 3.6.A [priority 2] Check that list elements are within a list
container and well nested.
Discussion Status:
awaiting discussion
Evaluation:
Not allowed:  LI element used outside of an OL, UL, DIR, or MENU element.
Not allowed: DT or DD element used outside of a DL element
Suspicious: excessive nesting of lists. The following example indicates
that list markup is creating a formatting effect rather than indicating a
list structure:
<UL> <UL>  <UL> <UL>
                                           <LI>
</UL> </UL> </UL> </UL>
Suspicous: single list items within lists might indicate formatting rather
than structure.  For example:
<UL><LI>
</UL>
<UL><LI>
</UL>
Example Language:
List items should not be used for formatting text.
Repair Technique:
Allow the user to format the text within the LI element to another element.
Test Files and Discussion Files:
Link to discussion on this technique.
--
wendy a chisholm