RE: technique 3.2.A

Yup - but I didn't mean to refuse to evaluate the document if there isn't a
text identifier in the first line of the doc - we'd skip a lot! I meant if
we determine the doc is not HTML, or fail to determine that it is HTML, on
the basis of either the text identifier or the presence of an <HTML> as the
first and only outermost markup tag (excluding comments, processing
instructions, etc.), then we might not want to try to evaluate it. Not to
mention flag an error under this checkpoint. Michael