Re: New technique: Check TABLE elements for valid CAPTION element (Technique 5.5.2 )

At 01:55 PM 2/19/00 -0500, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
>If you have a layout table you don't want to have a caption that is rendered.
>Is summary enough in this case or do we need to have a display: none for
>the caption in the stylesheet or what?

This actually raises a WCAG issue that's bothered me for a while.  I think
that, instead of discarding tables for purposes of layout, we simply
provide a standard way to define something as a "layout table".  For
example, by adding a class or attribute to the TABLE
declaration.  Especially since CSS handles tables poorly.

This actually goes beyond WCAG and gets into HTML4 land.

In the meantime, we can put "layout" into the summary, as was already
suggested earlier.

Len

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)