Re: Check TABLE elements for valid "summary" attribute (Technique 5.5.1 )

At 05:49 PM 2/18/00 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>Evaluation:TABLE elements should have a valid "summary" attribute for
>table where it is difficult to determine the relationship among cells.

I think this qualification is a definite help.  However, the guidelines and
the techniques document still omit this qualifiaction.

cf. http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#gl-table-markup

and

http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#tables

I think it would be best to explicitly say that summaries, as well as other
advanced markup like THEAD, etc be required only when they cannot be
deduced from the straightforward table interpretation algorithm... except
for a case mentioned below

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#h-11.4.3

I was thinking for a while that they could be included in the "until
browsers" section... but browser/screenreaders will-- or alt least should--
be able to interpret the algorithm before then anyway.

-----
The one place where summaries would be useful, aside from headers
arrangments that can't be deduced from the algorithm, would be  when the
data in the table, as opposed to the headings, show a pattern that is
visually evident but difficult to perceive by listening to the table.

Len

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)