RE: New technique: Technique 10.2.1 [priority 2] Verify that label controls are properly positioned

Michael I have addressed your question by leaving a question in the
"Discussion status" for this technique as follows:
Create a separate technique for LEGEND and LABEL?  [Michael Cooper - 28
January 2000]

Len had the following comment [1] about the 21 December version [2] of this
technique:
what are positions?
Suggestion: labels for radio buttons and checkboxes appear after
labels for text fields appear in front.

Putting labels for radio buttons and checkboxes first may seem
inconsistent, but it's needed for reasonable visual rendering, it's the
most common, and it's more important to stay with what a blind user expects
than to change it in just a few places.

Thus, I propose the following language for the repair technique:
Repair Technique:Allow the user to reposition labels associated with form
controls as follows:
Labels for radio buttons and checkboxes should appear after the radio
button or checkbox.  For example: [checkbox] oranges, [checkbox] apples.
If the radio buttons or checkboxes are horizontal rather than vertical put
the labels on one line and the form controls on the next.  For
example:  apples oranges pears
[checkbox] [checkbox] [checkbox]
Labels for text fields appear before the text field.  For example: last
name [text area].
Labels for groups of any form control should appear before the group.  For
example: choose a city  [radio button] Boston [radio button] Madison.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-er-ig/2000Jan/0059.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/ert-19991221.html

--wendy