Re: Technique 3.3.A - checking for style sheets

  I tried to incorporate your comments, Len, in the following proposal.
Hopefully it conveys that if none of the presentation elements or
attributes exist then we just need to verify that structural elements are
not being abused.  Perhaps this ought to link to those techniques.  For
now, I suggest "verify that the author has chosen not to modify
presentation in any way."  that's pretty open-ended, perhaps too much so?

Technique 3.3.1 [priority 2] Check document for use of style sheets.
Discussion Status:
awaiting discussion
Evaluation:
Check the document for presence of STYLE or LINK rel="stylesheet" elements
within the HEAD element or use of "style" attributes throughout the document.
Check for FONT and BASEFONT elements, and the "text," "vlink," "link," and
"alink" attributes on BODY.

Example of a message to be displayed:
Use style sheets to control layout and presentation. For example, use the
CSS 'font' property instead of the HTML FONT and BASEFONT elements to
control font styles

Repair Technique:
If none of these elements are identified, verify that the author has chosen
not to modify the presentation in any way.

If FONT or BASEFONT elements or "text," "vlink," "link," and "alink"
attributes on BODY, suggest or help the author convert the presentatin
properties to style sheets.

If the author chosses to convert deprecated markup to style sheets or add
style sheets, trigger technique 6.1 to verify that the document is readable
when style sheets are not applied.

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium