Abbreviations and expansion

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:56:56 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI ER group <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Hi folks,

There is a discussion going on in the WCAG group about abbreviations, and
when/how to expand them. I figured that a part of this could be usefully done
by a proxy service, or a real semantic web beasty.

The basic idea is to provide some kind of dictionary that can use different
collections of sources to look up an abbreviation and provide an expansion. A
real abbreviation could also include a defining instance of an expansion in a
page, that could then be used by such a beast. One of the benefits of this
would be to automate the exapnasion process in authoring tools, which could
be a useful place for these things to be implemented (the other of course is
browsers)

Any interest in the idea here?

Charles McCN

until 6 January 2001 at:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France