Re: Backus Naur Form (BNF) to XML

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:33:02 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>
[Forgive me, I'm having one of those overly productive days]
> If anyone knows of something like this, please post it,

1. CSS2 is expressed in EBNF: http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-CSS2/grammar.html

2. So is XML (thanks to Jelks):

3. Lots of programming languages can be expressed in BNF:

4. Not sure about HTML: "EBNF is also used in many other standards, such as
definitions of protocol formats, data formats and markup languages such as
XML and SGML. (HTML is not defined with a grammar, instead it is defined
with an SGML DTD, which is sort of a higher-level grammar.)" -
http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~lmariusg/download/artikler/bnf.html#id3 But
HTML can be converted into XML (XHTML) anyway, so who cares?

5. I think EBNF/BNF describe the langauges themselves rather than outputs
of those langauges, but I could be wrong (I only ever looked at EBNF once

6. I don't think this HTML parse tree is in (E)BNF, but it looks
interesting all the same:

That's the lot. Hoping as ever that this is useful rather than

"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.