Re: LIFT on "pacareerlink.state.pa.us"

Re LIFT [1] not following the javascript:

There's a workaround for this particular page that gives more information.

When you view the page in browser that has javascript it takes you to a new
page

http://pacareerlink.state.pa.us/homeframe.asp

(actually there's some cgi arguments after that but they can be omitted)

If you put that url into LIFT, LIFT finds 4 major problems and gives it
only a fair rating (and like I mentioned, the site is aware of these
problems and is planning to fix them).

Among the problems is missing alt text... we'd like that to cause the page
to fail and indeed, as Paolo has already told us, it's possible to
reconfigure LIFT to elevate to a catastropic level, which would make the
page fail.

LIFT also give other info... see the page for more details, and does it in
a clean, easy to read layout.

Still, someone using a browser that doesn't support javascript, e.g. lynx,
wouldn't get this far, so for accessibility purposes it would be useful to
put in checks for javascript.  Of course this applies to all tools, not
just LIFT.  Handling Javascript is turning out to be a major challenge for
all accessibility checking tools.

There's another caveat that's already pointed out on the LIFT page:

           Please note that UsableNet online service is unable, as any
other automated too, to check usability of
           the page in terms of its contents or its aesthetics value.

 From an accessibility perspective, this includes the fact that e.g.
although lift can check if ALT text exists, it can't check if it's
accurate.  In general manual checking would be needed in addition to LIFT.

Len

[1] http://www.webable.com/input_form.html

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/