Re: Document 'content' includes all element types and attributes (yes/no?)

At 06:57 AM 2000-04-27 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>AG:: "The division of information into content and presentation will be
>ineffective so long as the actual author is only looking at one
>composite, presented, result and the fatorisation is done by tools at
>the tool's convenience."
>
>WL: Hence the problem raised in recent AU discussions about whether
>"prompts" *must* help in this area when tools are "save as" or "publish
>to Web" selections within an application like a WYSIWYG editor. Although
>I understand why it is "impossible" to require standards to be met
>before allowing such publication to happen, I still think we should
>provide an alternative mechanism that at least attempts to have the same
>sort of pass/fail feature as does a compiler? Even if only for people
>who give a shit.

There is a simple version of this that I haven't persuaded anybody to do
yet.  This is that one creates a batch job that runs batch cleanup [e.g.
Tidy] on HTML files after they are edited in Word.  I believe that all the
hooks are there in simple batch processing in Windows so that one can
create a batch job like this, and register it as what is to be called when
and Edit operation is invoked on an HTML file.  Also cast Open to "Open
readonly" so that one has to do an explicit Edit to change the contents of
any HTML object.

Anyhow, I probably have the Windows programming wrong, but I believe that
there is in Windows a way to do this.  Totally with third party cleanup
guys.  But this is a great demo and marketing vehicle for the ER group.

Over the long haul the repair techniques have to migrate into constraints
in a domain model of the application, and from there into implementation in
business rules which may be expressed in RDF or any constraint language and
are then farmed out variously to different system phases in different
scenarios.  There is no one answer as to where the constraints are applied.
 The architecture has to be robust in this area -- supportive of a range of
solutions.  It is just that the information architecture includes the
constraints; and the alternative scenarios have to show how the deliver
effective conformance-to-constraints one way or another.

Al

Al