Re: Technique 4.1.A (Changes In Language)

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:34:00 +0200
To: "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
cc: "WAI ER IG List" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

> Is it practically possible to detect when the author has used words that are
> not in the document's primary language?

No, ša n'est pas possible.

By analysing the charset used, I guess one could design some
heuristics (like I used a c cedilla in the above line, which is very
much french), but that would be just that: a guess, and it would give
a lot of misses.

In a sense, if it was possible, it wouldn't be a P1...

Analysing the overall language is simpler because statistical tools
can be used.

> If we can't detect this then should every document (that has a BODY and any
> text) trigger a warning about this?

I guess so.