RE: Techniques 7.2.A & 7.3.A (BLINK/MARQUEE) Last Call

I'd say 7.2.A and 7.3.A look fine.

Re detecting Marquee-causing scripts in 7.3.B: There are various levels of
sophistication of course and I'm sure our products will move up the ladder
as time allows. If we're doing much parsing of script content at all, we
should be able to detect the action of setting the value of, usually, a form
control within a loop. Often this will be associated with a
window.setTimeout() function. For instance, something like

	do {setTimeout("document.forms[0].elements[0].value = 'Scrolling Text'",
50);} while true;

This syntax might not be 100% correct but is the general idea (not to
mention that as the text doesn't change in each pass it wouldn't actually
scroll in this example). The important feature is setting the value of a
form control or possibly the content of a DIV section in an unterminated
loop.

Or, equally or more likely, would be a simpler syntax using the setInterval
function, which doesn't require a loop:

	setInterval(document.forms[0].elements[0].value = 'Scrolling Text'", 50);

Here, the important feature is that setting the value of the form control is
an argument to the setInterval function rather than a statement in the loop,
but these two should be equivalent and we could check for both. Of course,
the statement that updates the value is most likely to be a function the
user has declared elsewhere, so we would have to know to look at that
function and see if it does that, so that's another level of complexity in
reading the script. But if we're interested in it it's possible.

Michael