Re: Prompt vs Ask

aloha, len!

for reasons similar to those you enumerated, the implications of the word
"prompt" arose during yesterday's AU telecon [1], where it was resolved to let
the word "prompt" stand, based upon the definition of the term "prompt"
contained in the ATAG [2]

quote
Prompts are requests for user input, either information
or a decision. Prompts require author response.
unquote

the members of the AU WG in attendance agreed that -- given this definition --
the term "prompt" did not suggest that a "pop-up" or "dialog" box type
mechanism was necessary to satisfy any checkpoint which demanded the prompting
of the author...

since the ERT has a clear-cut dependency upon the ATAG (after all, the ERT is
envisioned as a guide towards the development of the type of checking
mechanisms described in checkpoints 2.3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.5
of the ATAG), i would advocate using the same terms -- in the same manner -- as
the ATAG...

i also noticed that -- at least in version 0.10 -- there is no glossary in the
ERT -- Chris, do you have plans to add a glossary, or could we conceivably just
cut-and-paste the relevant definitions from ATAG, WCAG, and UAAG?

gregory.