Re: Technique 4.1.A (Changes In Language)

At 03:11 PM 11/1/99 -0500, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>As for triggering the warning about language in any document with a body
>and any text therein...
>
>In general that's what would be needed.
>
>However, if we do, the user should have the option of turning it off when
>analyzing documents known to be all in English.  We want to avoid too many
>false alarms.

Yes, there is a potential irritation factor to repeating global warnings on
opening every new page.

For criteria like this one which are 100% dependent on natural language
comprehension, what about the following collection of techniques:

Embed coaching about marking up the language of text in the documentation
and tutorial for the tool.

Don't warn on each page open.  Do check [by default] on save and close.
Perhaps prompt for "save in template?"

Do warn/prompt when computable criteria indicate a high likelihood of
language change:

example: on encountering <I> italic </I> markup: There is a select-list of
options as to why; this includes "foreign" which if selected launches a
dialog which includes specifying language.  Language specification is
itself a combo box because one can either write the language code directly
or select one from a list.  (documentation links to relevant RFCs for users
operating with an open or on-call net connection).

Al