Re: Copyright on www images

The image publishing industry and the web consumer industry are going to
fight this one out and we get to live with the answer.  Copyright law is
inconsistent, insufficient, and about to change in this area.

Using a URI in your document which identifies an image which someone else
has published to the web without access restrictions falls under the "just
use" realm just like putting a citation for someone else's journal article
in your bibliography.  They serve the image, you haven't copied and served
it.  This is a consumer opinion, not a legal opinion.

The W3C proposal for how people will learn things like copy permissions on
images is via the Resource Description Framework, or RDF.

Are you concerned about being sued for your use of other's images, or
concerned to protect images that you develop?

Al