General Repair and Browser Hints [was RFC for mediator warnings ]

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:22:26 -0500
To: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
Seems to me that Silas's suggestion of a mediator warning in the heading
could be generalized to "hints" in general for any part of a page.  For
example, a way of marking a table that it being used only for layout or to
kluge a list.  E.g. a CLASS convention.

(I realize of course that we want people to use CSS for layout, lists, etc,
but I don't think that's realistic till nearly all browsers and designer's
favorite tools support CSS.  Please start a new thread if you want to
comment on that).

Browsers could also use the hints.  However, it's probably better to not
push this while browsers are implementing other things.

BTW, I left the "Re" out of "[was RFC for mediator warnings ]" because the
w3c mail archive system fails to index it under the new heading when the
"Re" is in there.  A bug.
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)