Re: Guideline 1 in The evaluation techniques document

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:48:13 -0400
To: dd@w3.org
Cc: "webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net" <webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net>, "w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

>An smart UA could completely drop the ALT="" image link, after
>checking that the A href for the img is the same as some other very
>close textual A.

I like the idea of a smart UA surpressing a picture link that's near and
equal URL-wise to a text link, but couldn't it do that more generally, even
if ALT is not ""  ?  User configurable of course.  ACtually, this is a
potential ER repair tool feature idea which, like all repair tool features,
would have use in the user interface

As for associating a specific behavior with ALT="", we could try to
establish that convention, but I think it would be better to use Aural CSS,
with the Speaking property set to "none".

Yes, it would take longer for this to come to pass, but it would take a
long time to promote specific meaning for "" vs " "

By the way, what about "    "  or
Would they be semantically the same as " "

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)