Re: "Check Your Page" tool

Hi Karl,

This is certainly a useful tool. Thanks for the preview!

However, it took me a while to understand what it did.  I had expected that
after I clicked "submit" that I would see analysis results.  What it
actually does is to set up a page which allows me to submit the page to a
number of tools by simply clicking on links, thereby saving me the trouble
of going to each verifier and pasting the url into it's input form. It also
sets up the queries needed to check who is linking to my site as determined
by various search engines. Like I say, thats quite a handy thing to do.
But since it didn't do what I had expected I thought there was something
wrong or I wasn't using it correctly.  So I'd suggest explaining explicitly
what it does so people can appreciate it faster.

Also, why have it save the page at all?  A person can always generate it on
the fly or save it to their hard drive. Plus, I think it might be
intiminating to see their web page displayed on a public list for all to
see.  Especially when it's a page which they know hadn't been checked for
accessibility problems. Plus, if this tool is used a lot, the list gets to
be quite long. So I'd recommend to omit the saving and the list.

Another suggestion: when you save a page with the usual browser, like
netscape, it doesn't save images. Then when the person brings up the saved
page, s/he gets a "broken image" icon which looks unsettling.  So I'd
suggest omitting the image fix99.JPG.

Len

At 12:17 PM 6/30/99 -0400, karl.hebenstreit@gsa.gov wrote:

>I've developed a "Check Your Page" tool on my website, which is based on the
>City of Brea analysis that Kynn Bartlett did for the FedWeb '99 conference
back
>in April.
>
>My office, which provides governmentwide policy support, has received many
>requests for assistance from agency CIOs regarding the DOJ Section 508
>self-evaluations (the Rehab Act Amendments of 1998 required the Attorney
General
>to report on the state of acessibility of government IT by February 7, 2000).
>
>Following the "Check Your Page" link will provide a form for you to enter a
>short one or two word title for referencing your page, and the URL for your
>page.   Once you submit the form, you may need to hit the refresh/reload
button
>on your browser in order to have your page appear in the list.  There is an
>agent that runs every hour that will delete files that are between one and
two
>hours old, so that the database won't get too large.
>
>Please comment as soon as possible -- please do not distribute this too
widely
>while it's still in development.  I'd like to make a more formal
announcement by
>the end of next week (July 9).
>
>Thanks,
>Karl
>
>http://w3.gsa.gov/web/m/cita.nsf/CheckYourPage
>
>Karl Hebenstreit, Jr.
>US General Services Administration
>Center for Information Technology Accommodation (CITA)
>202-501-0004
>karl.hebenstreit@gsa.gov

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)