Altifier on ssb22

From: Silas S. Brown <ssb22@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:33:24 +0000
To: "Michael Vorburger" <mike@vorburger.ch>
CC: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
I have now modified the access gateway to include proper support for
extensions (I call them extensions because I don't really like the
term "plug-in" and it's too confusing with browser plug-ins).  I
changed the gateway on ssb22.joh.cam.ac.uk so that, by default,
alt_filter is not called.  To get it called, from the main options press
the Extensions button and check the ALTifier box.  This only works from
the ssb22 gateway, since at present alt_filter does not run in Unix.
Mike and I hope to improve this when he returns from home.

I've also sketched out a way of adding extensions by adding to the
gateway's code itself (rather than getting it to call another process)
and this would be much more efficent, since the added code can use the
gateway's parse results (as well as the fact that there would be less
process launching).  Both methods will be documented in the source
release.

Regards

-- Silas S Brown, St John's College Cambridge UK http://epona.ucam.org/~ssb22/

"Mercy exults triumphantly over judgement" - James 2:13