Re: FW: ALTifier

From: Silas S. Brown <ssb22@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:55:25 +0000
To: "Michael Vorburger" <mike@vorburger.ch>
CC: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
Hi Mike,

Yes you're right, I'm not subscribed to that list.

Your alt thing looks rather good.

I've managed to temporarily hook up alt_filter.exe to my development
copy of the access gateway, on ssb22.joh.cam.ac.uk.  It gets the web
page, runs alt_filter through it and processes the results.  So you can
browse with it.  At the moment the user doesn't get any choice but to go
through the filter.  I don't think this way of doing it is a good
permanent idea though because the amount of process spawning that's
involved does slow it down.  Also, calling a Win32 executable is not
portable to Unix platforms (most web servers run Unix).

May I ask what programming language it is written in?

There is a slight bug in that consistently replacing VALUE with ALT
doesn't always work too well in forms, as in

<input type="text" name="hpe" size="2" alt="10">

where the VALUE attribute is lost.

Regards

-- Silas S Brown, St John's College Cambridge UK http://ban.joh.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22/

"As for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all" - Ecclesiastes 9:5