bobby: need to check for alt=""

This is email Bruce sent last year.  I just tried out the test page with
bobby 3.1 and the test page still gets a bobby approved when in actuality
the links, which are images with alt="", are invisible.

Len

---------------------
>Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:07:02 -0500
>From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
>To: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
>Subject: Re: heuristic tests not in guidelines

>There are probably a lot of suggestions folks could make for improving
>Bobby.  My recommendation is that ALT="" should be illegal inside <A
>HREF...
>
>Please check out:
>http://www.dors.state.md.us/test.html
>
>A totally inaccessible (but simple) page that flys through the W3C and
>Bobby validators with no problems.  Even the verbose "Accessibility
>Recommendations" and "Accessibility Questions" and "Accessibility Tips"
>don't address what is the real problem with this page.
>
>Please note that I haven't touched this page in a while.  The LONGDESC
>is implemented incorrectly (not that the W3C validator complains).
>
>Have other people designed pages to illustrate Bobby's short comings?
>The "Known Bugs" of the Bobby FAQ
>(http://www.cast.org/bobby/bobbyfaq.html#sec4) is still blank...
>
>Bruce Bailey

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)