Re: Textual Equivalents

Another technique for image map AREA tags that don't have ALT text would be
to search for a text link with the same URL, and use that text link as ALT
text for the AREA tag.

In fact, optionally, the tool would then delete the text link at the bottom
since it is then redundant.

This would help folks who like image maps because it allows them to
conveniently skip the menu items that browsers like Lynx and pwwebspeak
create from the ALT tags.

Len

At 04:27 PM 9/9/98 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/text-equiv.htm
>
>This document describes techniques to be used by tools (browser,
>proxy, converter) taking HTML as input (incomplete or othersize
>inaccessible, IMG with no ALT, FRAME with no TITLE, etc) and trying to
>come up with textual alternatives for all sort of visuals lacking
>their native description.
>
>I would like the ER IG to review and discuss it before I start sharing
>it with other groups in or outside W3C, like the WAP forum, who is
>going to work on similar technique for wireless/mobile access to the
>Web.

-------
Leonard R. Kasday
Institute on Disabilities/UAP at Temple University, Philadelphia PA
email:     kasday@acm.org
telephone: (215} 204 2247