Re: heuristic tests not in guidelines

At 10:47 AM 10/28/98 -0500, Bruce Bailey wrote:

>Bobby would merely (!) have to check that the HREF'd item is available
>via text that is part of the link

LRK:: yup

> or elsewhere by an IMG that includes
>ALT text or client side image map.

LRK:: hmmm.  Well, there are some page that have "featured" links in a big
image map, and then references to the same url scattered around the page,
or maybe in a laundry list at the bottom the page.  I'd still like to see
it in the "featured" links.  So it gets a least a warning, I think.

>> Of course, if ALT=" " is the only thing inside a link then I'd agree that
>> it would be illegal.
>
>The above should be okay iff the link is available (accessibly)
>elsewhere on the page.

LRK::  Not always, per my above comment following my hmmm.

>I believe ALT=" " will get you something you can tab to at least (with
>Lynx and MS IE) where ALT="" does not.

LRK:: Is that good or bad?  Sorry, I'm not following you...

-------
Leonard R. Kasday
Institute on Disabilities/UAP at Temple University, Philadelphia PA
email:     kasday@acm.org
telephone: (215} 204 2247