RE: Automatic Alt Text Generation

From: Michael Vorburger <mike@vorburger.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:03:07 +0100
To: "w3c-wai-er-ig" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
Hello

> PNG has such a capability (embed metadata in the image file).

PNG and to my knowledge GIF as well can store comments/descriptions. Anyone
has/knows of a simple library to extract/store this into PNG/GIF? A link or
doc would be appreciated for my project.

> RDF is in general viewed as how we would standardize the data

Al, what is RDF?

I would like to remind http://www.w3.org/WAI/altserv.htm which presents ONE
idea of how a central storage for image descriptions could look like.

> So that user's don't have to write them time after time.

Marja, the tool/project I am working on (specification to be published for
discussion here soon) will have this possibility; a simple side-wide ALT
database, basically just a textfile with mapping IMG-SRC to ALT, and the
ability to put the given ALT automatically into all IMG occurences of your
site, for you as an HTML author.

Regards,
Michael

----
Michael Vorburger <mike@vorburger.ch> & <michael.vorburger@epfl.ch>
QUOTE: "Each journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
HOMEPAGE: http://www.vorburger.ch