EOWG Comments on longdesc

Hi EOWG,

I agree with Eric, all requested changes appear to have been made.  However,
I have two concerns:
1. The shortness of the abstract, which doesn't give a clear overview of the
document.
2. A note under 3. The longdesc Attribute:
"Note that this extension changes the definition of a hyperlink in HTML, by
allowing a longdesc attribute to occur inside a hyperlink."
This could cause confusion, surely the longdesc attribute can only occur
inside an image element?  The image itself may be inside a link, but if this
is what is meant, it should be made clear.  Example code samples don't cover
this point

Shawn: I'll be raising comment 2 with Mark and Jeanne, as I have usability
and accessibility concerns about this and they may be able to answer these
concerns.

Cheers,

Bim

      On 13 Jun 2014, at 19:48, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

      > Dear Shawn and EOWG,
      >
      > please find below our detailed replies, but in summary we have
      > accepted all your comments and they are incorporated
      into our latest
      > draft at

      https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/default/lon
      gdesc1/longd
      > esc.html which we hope to make a Candidate Recommendation.
      >
      > We hope the changes we have made satisfy your
      outstanding comments.

      <shawn@w3.org> wrote:

      >> Dear Chaals and TF,
      >>
      >> Thank you for your response. Here are replies on a few points:

      beginning, briefly
      <http://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/>
      important" and "How to

      >>> We will add more information in the introduction as suggested.
      >>> However the pages you suggested do not appear stable
      enough to be a
      >>> reference in this document, so we will not link
      specifically to
      >>> them.
      >>
      >> Correct, the pages are not stable enough to be
      referenced in the
      >> document -- indeed we will be editing them soon. We
      did not intend to
      >> suggest that they be referenced; we only pointed to
      them for ideas
      >> for wording in the Introduction.
      >>
      >> On 21 January we checked again for new Introduction wording at

      <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/default/lo
      ngdesc1/lon
      >> gdesc.html> and do not see it yet. Please inform us when the
      >> Introduction wording is ready for us to review in
      >> comment.
      >
      > We have now done this.

      Requirements
      The alt attribute
      following." - although,
      Introduction per

      >>> Whether an image needs a long description can depend
      on context as
      >>> well as the image itself. Alt is designed to provide
      a functional
      >>> replacement text, not a short description. In many cases text
      >>> alternatives are not necessary to support
      interaction. We therefore
      >>> do not propose to adopt this edit.
      >>
      >> EOWG is uncomfortable with the first paragraph at
      >> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html-longdesc/#UCnR>. For
      example, "everyday
      >> work" seems to make light of the importance of text
      equivalents in
      >> all cases; "information to replace an image" may not
      be understood;
      >> "often this is more helpful than a detailed
      description of every
      >> image" seems a tangential comment rather than a key point.
      >>
      >> We provided a suggested edit to show the flavor of
      what we think the
      >> paragraph should say; however, we are fine with you
      changing our
      >> suggested edit. Here is another suggestion that
      hopefully addresses
      >> your concerns:
      >> "Text alternatives for images enable people who cannot
      see to get the
      >> information that is provided in images. The alt
      attribute is designed
      >> to contain short functionally equivalent text, either
      the function of
      >> the image or a short description, based on the
      context. For many
      >> images, short alt is sufficient for users to get the
      information they
      >> need about the image. For some images and contexts,
      users need more
      >> detailed information from the image. The longdesc attribute is
      >> designed as a means to provide this detailed
      information, such as in
      >> the following use cases."
      >
      > We have taken this as a base, and hope the result is
      satisfactory.

      >> We hope that between the two suggestions you can see
      what we think
      >> are the importance points to get across here and how
      it has a very
      >> different flavor than what is in the draft -- and we
      *welcome for you
      >> to edit our suggestions*.
      >>
      >> Also note the related comment about the Introduction
      -- Probably this
      >> information is best in the Introduction and then the Use Cases
      >> section needs only a simple sentence to introduce it.
      >
      > Indeed, thank you for the suggestion. We did that.

      Introduction to Web
      <http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/accessibility> then can

      >>> That document referenced has no apparent stability or
      persistence
      >>> policy. For a reference we prefer to use a W3C
      Recommendation which
      >>> has both.
      >>
      >> WCAG 2.0 does not define or explain accessibility, and
      thus it seems
      >> a weak reference for your point. WAI Resources such as
      "Introduction
      >> to Web Accessibility" are commonly referred to in W3C
      specs -- WCAG
      >> itself refers to <http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag.php>. WAI
      >> Resources follow the W3C URI Persistence Policy
      >> (<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Persistence.html>).
      While we provide a
      >> changelog for many WAI Resources, we do not provide a
      public archive
      >> of all previous versions of most WAI Resources.
      >>
      >> Please reconsider the best reference in this case, and
      let us know
      >> how we can provide specific, documented assurances
      with regard to the
      >> stability and persistence of "Introduction to Web
      Accessibility" to