Re: Sub Discussion of Text Zoom vs. Browser Zoom (today's EO teleconf)

I have to agree with you and to express my amazement at the
implication that requiring the user to use a horizontal scroll bar is
acceptable. This would make reading text impractical in a real
situation.

Maybe rather than shortening the text, someone could produce a short
video of a user having problems with this, even just a screen capture
with descriptive voice over. I'm not able to do this, but I imagine it
wouldn't be too difficult. It would demonstrate the problem in just a
few seconds.

As for the Easy Checks [1] (I hope I'm looking at the right draft), it
would be useful to also include a screenshot with horizontal
scrollbars. The text "Some people with disabilities cannot read text
that requires horizontal scrolling" doesn't actually say why. This is
explained further down under "What to check for," but maybe it would
be clearer to put it in the main section. It's obvious to me, but
probably won't be to many page designers.

regards,

Alan

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/preliminary#zoom

--