Fwd: Easy Checks

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Jewett <tom@tomjewett.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 05:44:30 -0000
Subject: Easy Checks
To: WayneEDick@gmail.com

Hi, Wayne --

Some thoughts on Easy Checks, as requested (feel free to forward):

First of all, I'm delighted to see this in W3C format -- it's got a lot of
explanatory material, references, etc., that will save everyone else (like
me) from duplication of the work they've done. I understand why they've had
to include multiple systems (IE + FF), although FF can be used on any OS.

In last week's AccessU presentation, I used the Easy Checks sections on
Keyboard, Alt Text, and Forms to illustrate learning about specific barriers
with the Before-After Demo.

Some possible additional areas to cover (understanding that there's a
tradeoff between "easy" and "thorough"):

- Links: "All links must have text; each link's text should describe its
destination clearly; if link titles are present, they should not duplicate
the link text; duplicate link text should not point to different
destinations,
but links that point to the same destination should have the same text each
time. (2.4) FF Toolbar, Information -> Display Link Details." (Quote
from my own site, http://www.theenabledweb.com/smart-analysis.html, which
also references the Easy Checks page for more information.)

- Image maps: "Image maps should have equivalent information available
(on the same page) in text form that is also keyboard accessible. If the
map is generated from a database, then the equivalent (for example, a data
table) must be generated from the same database information. (1.1)
Visual check." (ibid.)

- Tables: "Tables used for layout only should never have heading elements,
should never be used to contain truly tabular data, and should never have
summary attributes. True data tables should have each data cell associated
with its column (and row, if appropriate) header or headers. Complex tables
should have each data cell associated with all applicable heading
levels. (1.3) FF Toolbar, Outline -> Outline Tables -> Outline Table Cells;
then Information -> Display Table Information." (ibid.)

- Movement. Visual check to be sure nothing is moving or flashing without
some obvious way to stop it.

Looking for an even simpler FIRST check, I've tried this one:

FF Toolbar, Miscellaneous -> Linearize Page; Images -> Replace Images
With Alt Attributes; CSS -> Disable Styles -> Disable All Styles.
This is almost a visual "voice reader" simulation, except of course it
doesn't say "image," "link," and so on. But if the page looks good this
way (headings, organization, sensible alt text, etc.), it's probably
close. If it doesn't make sense this way, then more thorough analysis
is in order. (Try it on the inaccessible BAD Home page.)

Comments on specific sections of the Easy Checks:

Headings: I've thought a lot about starting with h1, and came up with this
compromise:
"Headings should match the actual semantic structure of the document and
should be properly nested by level unless the h1 is preceeded by
navigation. Headings should also be used to identify and navigate between
groups of related links, and between links and main content. (2.4)"

Contrast: I really like this section -- much more helpful than relying
solely on the guideline (which nees to be updated).

Zoom: might want to say *why* content overlaps and suggest some ways
around the problem. I've found that there are some times when table
layout is actually the only way to prevent overlap, however nice it
might be in theory to use all CSS for layout.

Forms: with the FF Toolbar, I also use Forms -> View Form Information,
which requires a bit of understanding but might be less confusing than
superimposing the form details on the page itself. (Your note "@@ - is
this to (sic) complicated in FF?")

Hope this is helpful for your meeting,

Tom