WCAG 2.0 at a Glance

From: Alan Chuter <achuter1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:59:58 +0200
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Apologies if my comments are inappropriate; I've been out of touch with
the group's work for some time.

Regarding 4.1 mentioned in the agenda, which I think must be the last
item (they're not numbered), and looking at previous versions, might I
suggest changing "Maximize compatibility with" to "Design for" which is
much shorter and I thing is easier to understand. This would leave room
for a more detailed definition of user tools, like "Design for all
browsers and assistive technologies" (51 characters).

Looking at the proposal as a whole, and comparing it with the WCAG 1.0
version, some of the tips seem rather too abstract, such as "Do not use
content that causes *seizures*" and and "Give users enough time...",
"Make it easier for users to *see and hear content*" (how?). The 1.0
version is more concrete and so easier to understand. Sometimes it seems
like there is a layer of abstraction that the user has to work through
and interpret before getting to what really needs to be done.

The P.O.U.R. headings are used with no explanation. I wonder whether
people will understand what they are about if they haven't read the full
WCAG document first.

Has WAI considered something like the Mobile Web best Practices cards
[1]? They are much more expensive to produce I imagine, but contain a
great deal more information.

best regards,

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/02/mwbp_flip_cards

Alan Chuter