W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-eo@w3.org > October to December 2009

How to Report an Inaccessible Website, Identify Key Contacts section

From: Alan Chuter <achuter@technosite.es>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:17:14 +0100
Message-ID: <4B025C0A.8030001@technosite.es>
To: WAI-AGE Taskforce <public-wai-age@w3.org>, eoWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
In the sentence "The best person to contact initially is the owner of 
the page or area with the accessibility issue" the concept of the "owner 
of the page or area" could be confusing, I think. It might be a good 
idea to explain what it means (the person in charge of the page). 
Further on "web manager" should perhaps be "website manager".

In suggesting the alternative people to contact (different section 
managers, managing director) it might be useful to guide people first to 
identifying what organisation is responsible for the site, which may not 
always be evident.

It might be useful to tell people that if the site has an audited 
accessibility label (like RNIB Surf right, AccessiWeb, Technosite, or 
Euracert) there may be (should be) a complaints channel associated with 
the label.

People could also try a service like "whois" to find the owner of the 
domain name.

Large organisations like telephone or utilities companies sometimes have 
retail stores in large towns. Some (like mobile phone shops) that bear 
the branding of the company may just be franchises that won't be able to 



[1] http://www.whois.net/

Alan Chuter
Departamento de Usabilidad y Accesibilidad
Technosite - Grupo Fundosa
FundaciĆ³n ONCE
Tfno.: 91 121 03 30
Fax: 91 375 70 51
Received on Tuesday, 17 November 2009 08:22:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:55:58 UTC