Re: POWDER and EARL

Hi William,

Note: I'm CC'ing EOWG only for their information but please direct any

William Loughborough wrote:
> As I read the POWDER primer <http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-primer/> I am
> struck by its apparent inclusion (and solution) to the goals sought by EARL,
> i.e. furnishing information about A11y claims for Web content. If I am
> correct in this understanding we might consider utilizing our collective
> mind to state this in WAI terms?
>
> Help!

ERT WG has been monitoring POWDER and we've had numerous exchanges. In
fact the charters of both groups required coordination which tool place
throughout the development of POWDER.

POWDER is used to make statements about entire websites, including about
accessibility. The POWDER WG is very aware of this usecase and several
people within that WG were specifically focusing on that aspect.

EARL is designed to make more granular statements about specific parts
of website or even web pages, and to express the output of testing.
Primarily to facilitate the exchange of test results between different
types of Web accessibility evaluation tools (manual and automatic).

In other words, POWDER and EARL work in harmony. EARL provides the
individual test results to back general POWDER statements, such as a
detailed test report to back an accessibility claim.

Hope this helps.

Best,
   Shadi