Re: stab at betaw3

Thank you for your comments/concerns. The sites in question are not
sanctioned by W3C, WAI, or EOWG but as a member of the latter I was putting
up a draft (on my own site) not intended for the public, but to elicit
comments such as yours.

Tim did indeed say those things, although not in a single piece like that -
but in fact that is quite accurate a statement of how he feels about the
Web.

The other parts of your concern are also my concern. The use of such words
(in English) as "handicapped", "disabled", etc. are clearly part of the
problem of the widespread discrimination against those who are "different"
from some mainstream norms and the subsequent labeling is part of the
process of isolation that separates us, and eases the instutionalization,
incarceration, and even murder of People With Disabilities for millennia and
since the problem is our difference it seems like it's time to move away
from these labels and focus on the real problem: marginalizing people whose
diversity has been demonized widely.

Javier's book and a brief digest thereof suggest a "diversity model" to
supplant the notions previously in the "medical model" and "social model" as
a tool to remove both the stigma and need to claim that we seek "special"
treatment because of our reputed "disabilities". <
http://www.boobam.org/Innecesarios.htm>

I hope this begins to answer your concerns, which I share.

Love.

--
http://www.boobam.org/webgeezermild.htm