null alt text

From: William Loughborough <wloughborough@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:27:08 -0800
To: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Me and Gregory have been about the only voices in WAI forums for using alt
text - EVEN FOR SO-CALLED "PURELY DECORATIVE" ELEMENTS.

Now a survey at http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey/#images seems
to validate our view because this attitude is shared widely by PWD but NOT
by non-disabled observers. Also, it seems the more skilled at using screen
readers the user is, the more she prefers information to any concern with
repetitive stuff which they apparently can filter out with little trouble.

My contention remains that if one wants to avoid over-verbiage it should be
a function of the screen reader NOT the content author.

Love.