Re: Using the terms "normative" and "informative" in EO documents

In the "Understanding" and "How to Meet" documents the terms are
explained on each use, either directly in the sentence or by a link. On
the other hand the EO documents don't use these terms as far as I can
see. I think that it could be useful to use them in in order to explain
what they mean. But perhaps they can be avoided by using the
explanation. Rather than

"...the contents of this document are informative (they provide
guidance), and not normative (they do not set requirements for
conforming to WCAG 2.0)."

say

"...the contents of this document are provided for guidance, they do not
set requirements for conforming to WCAG 2.0."

or even

"...the contents of this document are provided for guidance (they are
informative), they do not set requirements for conforming to WCAG 2.0
(they are not normative)."

An alternative for "informative" might be "provided for information
purposes". For normative I can't think of an alternative.

For Spanish speakers the term "normative" would be readily understood I
think as "norma" is the word for standard (although the foreign import
"estándar" is widely understood).

If these words are used to avoid ambiguity and are defined precisely
somewhere (as are "should" and "must") then there should be a reference
to where they are defined.

regards,

Alan

--
Alan Chuter
Departamento de Usabilidad y Accesibilidad