Proposed text about applicability of MWBP in general context, for accessibility

From: Alan Chuter <achuter@technosite.es>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:19:15 +0100
To: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, "MWI BPWG Public" <public-bpwg@w3.org>

I think that this is the elephant in the room for this document [1]
and I'm glad it came up in today's EOWG call. The following is my
start at a section of the document to explain it:

The MWBP are primarily intended for the mobile context of use. When a
web application detects a mobile user agent, it should follow the
MWBPs to adapt the [same] content to some degree to suit a mobile
device.

Many BPs are only applicable to the mobile context. For example,
TABLES_ALTERNATIVES, TABLES_SUPPORT, TESTING, CAPABILITIES. However,
many are also applicable to all contexts (desktop and mobile) and it
is to be hoped that developers will not limit them to content for
mobile devices [this aspect not considered in MWBP document I think].
For example NON-TEXT_ALTERNATIVES, CONTROL_LABELLING and
COLOR_CONTRAST.

This document sets out to show how MWBPs benefit users with
disabilities in the mobile context but also if they are applied in the
general context, and also how accessibility concepts can benefit
mobile users [no confusion about the latter, I think].

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/Accessibility/drafts/ED-mwbp-wcag-20080314/

--
Alan Chuter,
Senior Web Accessibility Consultant, Technosite (www.technosite.es)