Re: IMAGE_MAPS

Replying to myself and rereading this, and to quote Sharron
"Conceptually, if I am working on BP and I know a device supports
image maps I will use image maps.  In that case, this does not relate
to WCAG"

The BP really isn't telling people not to use them, it's just saying
"Watch out for those devices that don't support image maps." Neither
does it say to use only client-side image maps. In fact it actually
seems to recommend using them when possible: "Image maps allow fast
navigation providing the requesting device can support the image
involved and providing there is a means of navigating the map
satisfactorily. Up, down, left, right and enter are available on most
mobile devices, even if there is no pointing device. This is usually
sufficient to allow navigation of image maps where they are defined as
geometric shapes."

So I propose saying that it doesn't benefit users with disabilities or
comply with any WCAG SC, as developers will still always have to do
any WCAG-required work. They're never going to avoid using image maps
altogether.

regards,

Alan