Re: Final: Benefits of WCAG 2.0 presentation material

Hi Shawn, all,

Shawn Henry wrote:
> Based on feedback from today's call, I made a few minor changes to the
> presentation at:

Unfortunately I could not attend today's meeting but I think the changes
are heading in the right direction, thanks for considering them.

> In the notes for slide #7, we have "Another benefit of WCAG is that it
> is part of an integrated suite of accessibility guidelines and
> specifications from the W3C WAI". Jack suggested that we add why this is
> a benefit. Please (anyone) send suggestions to the list for wording on
> that.

Suggestion:
- WCAG 2.0 is supported by accessibility features within the underlying
W3C technologies, such as those features built into HTML and CSS, and
works together with WAI-ARIA which allows the creation of accessible
scripting and AJAX applications.
- WCAG 2.0 is also part of other guidelines that address authoring
tools, browsers, media players, and other tools that are essential to
allow the production of accessible content, as well as the consumption
of the content by people with disabilities.

Note: Usually I present this using the "specs" image [1]. I describe the
idea of "end-to-end accessibility", from authoring to consumption. I
also mention the accessibility features that need to be present in the
underlying Web-technologies to make this work-flow happen. Of course I
also mention that "developers" in this model can equally be people with
disabilities. I usually spend at least 5 minutes on this slide alone.
The caveat with this is that the image only includes the acronyms and is
not useful unless the full names are spelled out somewhere...

[1] <http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/specs.png> from Essential Components of
Web Accessibility document <http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/components.php>

Thanks,
   Shadi