EOWG's WCAG 2.0 Comment 23: SC 3.1.4 Abbreviations

From: Justin Thorp <juth@loc.gov>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:14:36 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

I guess to boil down my previous "brain dump" e-mail into an actual recommendation....
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2007OctDec/0078.html

For Comment 23:
Not accepted, and please see our follow-up comment below;

Currently 3.1.4 reads as follows...
"A mechanism for finding the expanded form or meaning of abbreviations is available. "

Because of the phrase "A mechanism for finding" is at the beginning of the sentence, the intent of the success criteria is less clear.

The following, just by itself, is much more clear.
"The expanded form or meaning of abbreviations is available."

Having the expanded form or meaning of an abbreviation be available seems like it'd imply that there is also a mechanism for finding it.

If the phrase is necessary, consider rephrasing the SC to be...
"The expanded form or meaning of abbreviations is available, as well as a mechanism for finding it."

- justin

Justin Thorp
US Library of Congress
Web Services - Office of Strategic Initiatives
e - juth@loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541