W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-eo@w3.org > October to December 2007

WCAG 2.0 SC 3.1.4 - Abbreviations - Comment Explanation - Re: WCAG 2.0 comment resolutions

From: Justin Thorp <juth@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:03:30 -0500
Message-Id: <473AC7F2020000D800021862@ntgwgate.loc.gov>
To: <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

So my action was to further explain my concerns with SC 3.1.4 Abbreviations... which currently reads as follows:

3.1.4 Abbreviations: A mechanism for finding the expanded form or meaning of abbreviations is available. (Level AAA) 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/Overview.html#meaning-located 

I guess my problem is with the words "A mechanism for finding the expanded form."  This makes me think that the SC is not about providing the "expanded form or meaning of abbreviations."  It's about providing "A mechanism for finding" them.  Does anyone else see the disconnect?

If the SC were written the following way, it'd make PERFECT sense...
3.1.4 Abbreviations: An expanded form or meaning of abbreviations are available. (Level AAA) 

Just by saying that an expanded form or meaning is available, doesn't that imply that you're going to provide an mechanism for finding it?.... is there the need to complicate the SC with the extra words.

Would it be possible to make the expanded form of an abbreviation available without providing a mechanism for finding it?

I guess you could provide a glossary of terms without linking the term in question right to that part of the glossary but according to G62 it looks like just providing a glossary is enough.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20070517/Overview.html#G62 

Does my train of thought make sense?

And just to comment on their response... I don't think someone should have to necessarily read the understanding doc or the glossary to get a high level of understanding of what the success criteria has to say.  Thats just my humble opinion.

- justin





******************
Justin Thorp
US Library of Congress
Web Services - Office of Strategic Initiatives
e - juth@loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541

>>> Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org> 11/13/2007 5:31 PM >>>

EOWG Participants,

Background: EOWG submitted comments on the May 2007 WCAG 2.0 Working Draft. The WCAG WG has sent us their resolutions of those comments and asked us to reply if we accept them.

WCAG WG's resolutions of EOWG's comments are at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2007OctDec/0061.html 

These were discussed by a subset of those at the face-to-face meeting last week. Rough draft minutes are available at: http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#item05 Note that Judy recorded additional replies, which she will clean up and send to the EOWG list.

We need to finalize our replies to these this week, as it is due Monday. Please plan time this week to:
* Review the conformance section at http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20071102/#conformance considering our previous comments on this section, and send your comments to the EOWG list
* Review our draft replies (to be sent to the list soon), and send your comments to the list by Thursday 15 November if possible.

*Andrew, Judy, Justin, Sharron, and Wayne*: Thanks for taking action items from the face-to-face discussion. I have collected them below.[1] (If you need more information, follow the link and you can read the minutes before the action item, which might help provide contest for understanding it.)  *Please send the information from your action item to the list soon so that EOWG has time to consider it during review this week*.

Thanks!
~Shawn

[1] Action items:

Andrew:
*  Andrew to coordinate with Shawn on the suitability of the handles used. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action14] 
*  Andrew to check closed item #22 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action24] 

Judy:
*  Judy to ask EOWG to read new conformance section carefully; meet with Michael; send DRAFT to EO of more explicit notes [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action27] 

Justin:
*  Justin to check and report [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action25] 

Sharron:
*  Sharron to check that they have made the changes about distinction between blinking and flashing [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action16] 
*  Sharron to check that they have made the changes about Comment 20: extend alternative to text to audio-only or video-only [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action18] 
*  Sharron to check # 17 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action22] 
*  Sharron to check #21 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action23] 

Wayne:
*  Wayne to clarify create alternative language for sentence "any information ....etc from Note 5" [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action26] 

All:
*  All to reread the conformance section for next weekly call. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action15] 
*  All to read with reference to # 7 & 8 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action20] 
*  All to accept our #9, closed with reservation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-eo-minutes.html#action21] 

###

-----
Shawn Lawton Henry, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
about: http://www.w3.org/People/Shawn/ 
phone: +1-617-395-7664
e-mail: shawn@w3.org 
Received on Wednesday, 14 November 2007 15:04:14 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 10:33:46 GMT