[fron Henny] standards harmonization notes [RE: EOWG: Agenda for 2 March 2007 Teleconference]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: EOWG: Agenda for 2 March 2007 Teleconference
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:05:27 +0000
From: Swan, Henny <Henny.Swan@rnib.org.uk>
To: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-eo-request@w3.org>

 Hi All,

Some comments to contribute for this afternoon's conference call, or
perhaps questions and areas of interest to share..

- Japanese Standards Association (JSA)
   http://www.jsa.or.jp/default_english.asp

I am aware of the Fujitsu Web Accessibility guidelines
(http://www.fujitsu.com/us/accessibility/) but unsure if these are the
guidelines widely followed in Japan or WCAG or something else. I'm
always interested in what is happening in Asia as a whole regarding
accessibility such as what the take up is and what standards are being
looked at. Also interested in the motivation for (Asian) industry to
build accessible websites and applications given that they may want to
promote services and products in the American and European markets. Does
this affect what guidelines they follow for example WCAG or Section 508?

- CEN Workshops

I was part of SupportEAM a while ago, along with Helle and Andrew but
have heard little about progress since.

- Unified Web Evaluation Methodology (UWEM) version 1.0 and future
    http://www.wabcluster.org/uwem1/

There was a meeting with Braillenet regarding the UM just after we met
in Boston. I was unable to go for personal reasons but there was
discussion around what the UM is and how it can be adopted in Europe.

- United Nations Global Accessibility Initiative on Technology

Is this referring to United Nations Global Initiative for ICT for
Inclusive products (http://www.g3ict.com/)? If so I believe this website
only came online at the end of January. I've been trying to information
gather as much as I can about the UN and accessibility since the
publication of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities In
December last year. Of particular relevance to web accessibility is
article 9
(http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/ahc8adart.htm#art9) and 21
(http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/ahc8adart.htm#art21) in the
convention. See also the UN press release of November 30th 2006
(http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2006/note6054.doc.htm). The
convention says that "states" should be upholding people's rights so I
was wondering what impact it is having, or starting to have, on
Governments.

Many thanks, Henny